Automated testing has graduated significantly from its traditional way of conducting small testing operations to being of a critical and strategic gizmo to develop high-quality software as demanded by today’s innovative market.
Every software engineering team needs to test its product before launching it in the market, but sometimes they fail to fetch and eradicate an error or two. Well, the testing team is not always at fault, some itty-bitty bugs repetitively creep in the app or website, even after employing the best manual testing practices and processes. At that time, the automated testing tools, such as Selenium and Appium, come in handy for continuous integration and continuous deployment/delivery pipelines.
Automated testing is an essential part of a modern SDLC used to maintain, test, and scale your websites, apps, and other end devices. In this blog post, you will discover the best practices of test-driven development and also learn how these tools improve your Quality Assurance operations. But before that, let’s understand the difference between automated and manual testing.
Automated vs. Manual Testing
In manual testing, the testers manually identify errors in a software program and write test cases without using any automation scripts and tools. On the other hand, automated testing is a modern process of finding out defects, executing test scripts as well as cases, and running tests on distributed networks using automatic and innovative tools. Not to mention, these tools play a vital role in avoiding and reducing the risk of mistakes subjected to human errors. In a nutshell, the process of automated testing stands up in contrast to the manual operation.
Various studies show that only 12 percent of organizations are not involved in any kind of automated testing currently. Remaining 88 percent successfully computerized tests without compromising the coverage of the environment.
Nearly 53 percent of businesses started automating their tests in the development stage, while 31 percent and 4 percent in the staging and deployment pipeline respectively. The most popular types of testings that companies automated during the development are:
How does Automated Software Testing Work?
The automated testing process for websites may be boiled down into numerous cycles, but overall in a general perspective, it usually runs through the following four major phases:
Formation of a test plan and finalization of test automation
Selection and customization of tools
Development and testing of scripts
Testing using computerized test cases
Organizations that used automated testing services magnificently reduced cycle-time by cutting down on the product and integration test time and gained reproducible results. The software programs deliver a means of storing outputs of the tests accurately, which are beneficial to maintain a database and provide insightful stats on how the development process is rolling.
Below are a couple of fundamental questions whose answers will help you understand how this process should work and what test cases you need to develop and automate.
Will the test sequence of the operations be defined automatically?
Is it essential to repeat the test sequence of events multiple times?
Is it possible to automate the sequence of actions?
Does the software behave in the same manner without undergoing automated testing?
Is it necessary to perform the same and many tests on multiple hardware configurations?
6 Tips to set off Automated Software Testing Process
Decide what tests are designated to be automated since it’s impossible to automate all tests.
Run tests early and too often to improve the life cycle of your project, detect more bugs, and fix the discovered errors later in the deployment or production pipeline.
Select a testing tool that supports various platforms and technologies, creates automated UI tests, and offers flexibility for QA engineers, irrespective of their skill levels.
Divide the automated testing efforts based on the skills and experience level of your team members. For instance, let an experienced tester write test scripts since it requires an in-depth knowledge of scripting language. Conversely, working with test cases is pretty simple, even for the non-tech savvy members.
Create quality data files that are easier to reuse, maintain, and extend along with your app or website’s development.
Create tests that are resistant to any change implemented in the User Interface (UI) of your design.
If you are seeking a reliable and renowned automation testing company in Rancho Cucamonga or nearby areas to achieve thorough QA in all environments and improve the accuracy of your test cases, then get in contact with us.